Durable Rubber Roofing Materials
If you are looking for an excellent alternative to ordinary roofing materials, you may find that rubber roofing is the ideal solution you are seeking.
Without a doubt, roof is the vital part of any building. It should be durable and waterproof, easy to maintain and repair. Today rubber roofing tend to be extremely popular among homeowners so as it meets the highest requirements.
Kinds of rubber roofing materials
Rubber products are available in rolls or as shingles. If you want to install a new flat roof, you may choose the material in rolls, whereas shingles are good for triangular roofing options.
One of the advantages of shingles is that they may come in different design and colors. You may even find rubber shingles that resemble ordinary slate ones. Rubber shingles are constructed from recycled products, making them more durable, eco-friendly and long lasting. They are mainly comprised of recycled tires, slate dust, saw dust, plastic bags, etc. All that melted and pressured again stuff is used to form solid plates, covering the roof like fish scale.
EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) comes in rolls. It is a thin waterproof rubber membrane that is perfect for covering flat roofs. Though, it fits to cover triangular roofs as well. EPDM can be attached to different substrates including fiberboard, plywood, urethane insulation board and OSB. While single-ply roofing membranes are mostly used on commercial jobs, EPDM has become widely popular in private households. If installed correctly, roofs can exceed 25 years of service.
EPDM roofing system features:
- Flexibility in low temperatures;
- High resistance to extreme heat and fire;
- High resistance to weathering and abrasion;
- Ultraviolet radiation resistance;
- Thermal shock durability;
- Proven hail resistance;
- Superior wind uplift resistance;
- Non-flammable adhesive system;
- Cyclical membrane fatigue resistance;
- Ease and speed of installation.
In general, EPDM roofing products are successfully used as roofing materials for residential, commercial buildings, rooftop gardens, pond liners, RV's, decks, pond liners and more.
What materials are required for roof covering?
When installation rubber roofing, you’ll need the following materials:
- EPDM black/white rubber roofing membrane;
- Special EPDM cleaners and primers (Weathered Membrane Cleaner, EPDM Primer, Eternaclean);
- EPDM adhesives and sealants (solvent based and water based adhesives, sealant, low VOC adhesives);
- EPDM Roofing Installation Accessories (molded corner flashings, EPDM uncured white/black flashings, pipe seals, roller tools, pour-able sealer pockets, walkway pads, EPDM pipe flashing boots, protection pads and roofing plates and screws for mechanical attachment).
You may want to consider rubber roofing so as it requires less maintenance effort and repair works. This kind or roofing can stand more than 35 years of severe weather conditions. In addition, some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty.